Theoretical Modeling of Flapping Wings
- Model and analyze the aerodynamic performance e.g. lift, thrust, and efficiency of flapping wings as a function of wing structural parameters and wing kinematics.
- Understand the role of flexible wings in biological flight.
- Test the hypothesis that a universal optimal bending mode exists in flying and swimming.
Approach - Fluid Structure Interaction
- Developed an analytical model for the lift and wing deformation of a chord wise flexible flapping wing in hover.
- Evaluated aerodynamic performance of the wing using the mathematical model for various motion frequencies and with different flexibilities.
- Comprehensive comparisons against numerical computations.
- Develop an analytical model for flexible flapping wing in forward flight and evaluate the aerodynamic performance.
- Universal optimal bending mode in flying and swimming.
1. Kang, C. and Shyy, W., Analytical model for instantaneous lift and shape deformation of an insect-scale flapping wing in hover,” Journal of Royal Society Interface, Vol. 11, no. 101, 2014
2. Kodali, D and Kang, C., Analytical aerodynamic model of chord wise flexible flapping wings in forward flight,” Abstract accepted for AIAA Conference , SciTech 2016
3. Kang, C. and Shyy, W., Scaling law and enhancement of lift generation of an insect-size hovering flexible wing,” Journal of Royal Society Interface, Vol. 10 no. 85, 2013
4. Kang, C. and Shyy, W., Scaling law and enhancement of lift generation of an insect-size hovering flexible wing,” Journal of Royal Society Interface, Vol. 10, no. 85, 2013